Thursday, January 14, 2010

On the Eternal Client-Contractor Conflict

Client: No, Mr. Contractor. I cannot pay the outstanding balance amount to you. The Fire Security Department had clearly stated that the clear passage on the fire escape staircase flight shall be 2 feet 6 inches. What you have provided is only 2 feet 2.5 inches. Now since, this fire stair that you built would not be approved by the department; I do not have any utility for your construction. Why then should I pay you?

Contractor: Sir, the fire stair case that I have constructed for you is exactly in accordance with the drawings that you have given me. The architectural drawings clearly state that the overall external dimension of the stair structure should be 5 feet 4 inches for two dog-legged flights. The fabrication drawings were submitted to you. Your maintenance engineer was there at site during construction and he could have very well instructed the need of additional width of flight, if that was necessary. I would have placed a fresh quote with you in that case. You are deliberately making it an issue at this stage when final bill is raised, just because you do not have the intention to pay.

Architect: The architectural drawings do indicate an outer-to-outer dimension of 5 feet 4 inches for the staircase structure. Two balustrades on either side of the flight that also accommodate the handrails are 2.5 inches wide. Hence clear width is reduced. The fabrication drawings have never been submitted for my approval. Neither am I paid for preparing any working drawings or checking them. Even if, I had educated you about the necessity of checking working drawings before execution, you would dismiss me as an extra cost.

Bureaucrat: I can help you to approve a 2 feet 3 inches wide stair by showing that this construction is according to the old rules. Of course, at a price – all government matters, you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment